Old 11-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Spider

Chris Hogg wrote in message
The general rule for bulbs is to plant them at a depth roughly twice
that of the bulb itself. Either that or some types have specific
depths recommended for them. But I have up to three inches of coarse
mulch on my flower beds (shredded hedge trimmings etc). Do I include
this when estimating planting depth, or do I ignore it, scrape it
aside and plant at the appropriate depth in the underlying soil? If
the former, then for many smaller bulbs they wouldn't actually be in
the soil at all, but just in the mulch, which doesn't seem right.

--
Chris

Hi Chris,
No, it wouldn't be right. Any bulb simply planted in the mulch would be a
gift for birds, mice, squirrels, etc.
Ignore the mulch. Take the soil surface as your working stratum and plant
below it as per instruction for each bulb type.
Spider