Old 11-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Sacha

On 11/9/04 21:37, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:37:00 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

I'm currently reading a book in which a 'flamboyant tree' is mentioned (as a
name, not a description) and bush tea. Please can anyone tell me what
either of these are?

AIUI, they make tea from at least two types of bush in SA. Rooibos
(Aspalanthus linearis) has already been mentioned, but they also use
Honeybush (Cyclopia species). See
http://www.rooibos.ch/honeybush.html

The former has a slightly spicy taste, the latter is sweeter and
tastes more of honey. I prefer the latter. We have a relation in SA
who regularly sends us tea bags and we drink it regularly.

That's interesting because from what you say Aspalanthus is the Rooibos but
the person I know who lived in Gaborone says bush tea tastes of honey. I
wonder if bush tea has become a term to cover two types of tea giving shrub.
A number of years ago in Turkey, I drank something in Kalkan called Adasi
Chay (sp?) which means island tea. It was delicious but I've never been
able to find out what it's made from and no other parts of Turkey I've
sailed in seem to know it.
--

Sacha