Old 08-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Ray Drouillard

"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote in message
On 8 Sep 2004 05:13:37 -0700, (Dave) wrote:
"Ray Drouillard" wrote in message

"Claire Petersky" wrote:

You must live in an area where they are not a noxious
weed. If I want to make jam, I can go to any vacant
lot, park, or verge and pick. But I must be ever-vigilent
to keep them out of my yard -- a few weeks of neglect,
and I've got vines sprouting once again from the edge of
the fence.

Sort of like multiflora roses, eh? I have heard nasty things about
them, but they don't seem to be a problem here. I guess

competition in
the plant world is so stiff here that none of the 'noxious weeds'

that I
hear about can really get a good toehold (roothold?). We have lots

of
the plants that are called 'noxious weeds' elsewhere, but they seem

find their niche and stay put around here.

Hmmm... the thorny blackberries can be troublesome but they like sun
and seem to mostly propagate through the root system so this limits
their spread to adjacent sunny areas.

Ha! They most certainly do not limit themselves around here. They're
sneaky little *******s, too. You no sooner get them stomped in one
place, but they pop up in another part of the yard.

At least kudzu is brazen; it announces its presence by waving its
fronds about insolently in the air so it can be easily spotted and
properly exterminated.

If I lived in the south, I could probably feed all my goats for free.

If someone knocked on your door and asked for permission to harvest your
kudzu vines, what would you say? How about if they want to put some
goats into your field that's overgrown with multiflora roses or
blackberries?

Ray