Old 12-09-2004, 12:57 AM
Mary McHugh

Linda Barsalou wrote:
I don't know where you live, but here in SW Ohio where hot pepper plants
totally freeze out in the winter, I too tried keeping plants inside and
growing over the winter. I never tried cuttings, I usually just dug up
the whole plant as they were not too large and I would just prune them
back a bit. I did this for about 3 years. What I found was that I
often had huge problems with whitefly or aphids. Even when there was no
significant bug problem, they did not produce much earlier than the

I have had very good luck with potting up the entire pepper. Mine
continue to produce over the winter as long as they get extra light (I
use my seed starting rack). They don't produce as much but they do
produce some.

Ever since the ladybugs have decided my house is a nice overwintering
spot I haven't had any trouble with the white flies or aphids. The
ladybugs tend to collect in my main bath and I just put the peppers
there or I re-locate some ladybugs right onto the plants.

Mary