Old 12-09-2004, 10:44 AM
kevin bailey

Chinese Elm are much better kept outdoors until the first frosts and
then kept in a cool frost free place for the winter. They like to
partially dry out between waterings and are better watered from the top
as immersion watering can lead to soil compaction in the long term.

Once they have lost their leaves they don't transpire as much. Decrease
watering and only water when the soil below the surface starts to dry
out.

If this is your first tree, try to get hold of a good book. There are
reviews of many on our IBC site here
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/bookrev.php You can often pick up a
bargain such as Dave Prescott's new book, Craig Coussins, Harry
Tomlinson's or Dan Barton's in cheap bookshops in the UK. Read all you
can and don't despair if this first try fails. Learn from it and try
again.

I have a 40' high Chinese elm growing in my garden that I air layer
from. It is completely hardy in the UK (with their roots in the ground).

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

I am in the United Kingdom and the tree is kept indoors, if this is
natural
do i keep watering it during winter just the same?

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++