Old 12-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Tom Warner

"ned" wrote in message ...

"Tom Warner" wrote in message

big snip
Please, please in future try to find out what you are dealing with

before
you destroy it.
It really is not difficult to tell the difference between a slug and

caterpillar.

........... in general.
Have you seen a Pear-slug?
The larva of the Caliroa cerasi Sawfly, complete with six thoracic
legs and many rudimentary prolegs - very caterpillarish - in a sluggy
way.

Theres always an exception. However my comment that a more intimate
knowledge of the common insects/animals will allow a better understanding of
their relationship with your garden still stands.

Being able to identify a creature, even in a general way, may help to foster
an interest in the more unusual animals that one may come across.

If this helps to counter the "I didn't know what it was so I killed it"
attitude that seems so common these days then so much the better.
Best wishes
Tom