Old 12-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Sally Thompson

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:45:20 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Is it me or is there a mistake in this weeks garden news crossword.
I have completed all but 9 across which is left

g-i-e-s

clue
"Species name meaning grey.

I always believed glauca meant grey, well blue grey anyway. Is there a
name for specifically 'grey' ?
I have looked in all the RHS books I own but can't find the answer, also
on the web each answer seems to be glauca

Janet: I checked my Latin dictionary, which gives cinereus (grey);
glaucus (blue-grey) or canus (grey with age) (glauc-a- would be the
feminine form of glaucus). Then I checked an American book I have
called "Gardener's Latin", and that offers"griseus: gray (sic "). I
suspect therefore that your answer should be "gris" (like the French).
Could your second letter be an -r- rather than an -i- ?

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Reply To address is spam trap