Old 10-09-2004, 06:47 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Thomas" scythicon311@yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Don't waste your time with cuttings. I would suggest preparing some good
potting soil and amend it with a little organic fertilizer. Dig out your
plants with as much root as you can and transplant them into pots. Add some
lava sand if it's available in your area to help retain moisture. Let them
establish in the pots and give them as much sun as possible. Do not over
water. Most people tend to over water plants indoors in pots. I don't know
what your zone is, but I would suggest that unless you are in zone 8-10 they
will not continue to produce. The goal would be to keep them alive and
overwinter them so you can replant outside after soil temps have warmed.
Then you will have a huge head start on next years production. I live in
zone 8 in Texas and have a chili pequin plant that stays in the ground year
round. It freezes back to the ground in the winter, but has come back for 3
years in a row. I have harvested well over 1000 plus peppers and sun dry
them for use on pizza or whatever. Some I dry in the toaster oven for a
more "toasted" taste. They are great.
Previous to having acreage we kept a chili pequin in a large pot for 7 years
and even used it as a Christmas tree a couple of years.
Your plants have only been producing for a month or two? Hmmm. I've been
getting peppers since late April...but again...it is paradise..( oh
sorry....TEXAS)
lol..hope this helps.
Thomas

You are cruel... lol

I have a 5 year old Chili pequin also, (a wild volunteer no less) in the
back of the main garden. It's nearly 3' tall and almost as wide, and
produces more than I can use, much to the delight of my cockatoo. ;-)
She adores the things fresh off the plant! It also freezes back each
winter, but comes back strongly and I do NOT prune it! The exsisting
branches come back. ;-)

I'm experimenting with doing some cuttings from it. I did 5 earlier this
spring but the plant was already blooming. 1 of the 5 cuttings survived
and is rooting. I just snipped, dipped, and stuck it into miracle grow
potting mix. Snip it and dip it into liquid rooting compound.

I DO have a greenhouse.
Oh, and I am also in Paradise (central Texas)

On an interesting note, my neighbors _never_ clean their rain gutters
and there are a variety of plants growing in them. There is a small
chili pequin at one end that is producing! It's maybe 1' tall. I'm
considering taking a ladder over there in the middle of the night and
pepper-snatching the plant. G

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...