Old 12-09-2004, 09:17 PM
RoyDMercer

"Bill" wrote in message
Hi, I have an American Elm which I understand to be an endangered
tree due to Dutch Elm Disease. It needs to be pruned? as branches are
leaning onto my roof. I am thinking that it is probably best to prune
as little as possible but several people have suggested pruning much
more because it will grow. It appears that I need a professional to
do this job. The pruning will be done 70+ ft high. What should I be
looking for in the pruner? Are there licenses or professional
affiliations? Also are there specific questions to ask or best
timetable to follow? I would not be happy with myself if my actions
caused the demise of this tree.

Dutch Elm Disease may not be a problem in your area. Check with your local
county extension office to see how prolific DED is in your area.

DED is caused a fungus carried by beetles which bore into the trunk, usually
through wounds caused by wind damage or pruning. Diseased and/or dying
branches are also a good source of beetle entry. Identify dying/dead
branches with spray paint, then prune when the tree is dormant and beetles
are not active. Immediately burn, chip, or bury all pruned wood. Do NOT
save it for firewood.