Old 12-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Cereus-validus

If the plants were any good, they would have been vigorous when you bought
them without the need to coax them along for years.

Buying sick plants is a foolish thing to do regardless of your ultimate
results. The risks far outweigh any possible reward, especially when you are
buying generic plants of little value in the first place.

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I bought 3 sick clematis plants at Lowes for 10 cents each. They
still looked weak one year later, but after 3 years they have bushed
out over 10 feet on a trellis I built. One blooms in the spring and
the other two in summer and fall. I worked compost into the soil and
kept them mulched. The condition of plants depends on the garden
manager at the store.

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:23:47 -0400, "S. M. Henning"
wrote:

"Cereus-validus" wrote:

So now the only places we can buy crappy plants is Lowes and Home

Depot?

Lowes, Home Depot, KMart, etc. get excellent plants. If you buy them
before they kill them, you too can get an excellent plant. The growers
that these chains use are top notch. They produce a quality plant. The
trick is to get them before they are abused.

In any case these potted plants are never as good as a field grown
plant. You can only get field grown plants from your local nurseries
that grow their own plants.