Old 13-09-2004, 06:12 AM
Xi Wang

Judging from your pictures, it looks like my long gone Dtps. Tinny
Beauty fell to the same illness. It probably would've sent out basal
keikis, but when I bought it, the root system was in bad shape as well,
and I guess it couldn't handle things. If someone ever finds out what
it might be, I'd be most interested in knowing.

Cheers,
Xi

Steve wrote:
It resembles what I have been fighting in my Phal collection for 2
years. When I say fighting, I really mean watching it win. I made a web
site to show the problem to people in the hopes that someone knew how to
cure it:
http://www.geocities.com/tlswilso/Ph...s_2-15-04.html
I got advice from dozens of people. Several thought they knew what it
was but didn't really. Some have the exact same problem and it seems to
be incurable. I was really hoping it was a fungus and that a fungicide
might cure it. I now have a great collection of fungicides but not a cure.
If you find that the new leaves look normal as they grow but then start
showing symptoms after the leaf reaches full size, you probably have the
same problem. One of the people who seem to have this same problem
recently gave leaves to a plant pathologist who found no fungus or
bacteria. They even looked for virus with an electron microscope and
found nothing that looked like a virus. This thing has turned out to be
quite a mystery and I hope you don't have that disease. Your pictures
lead me to believe you do.

Steve

Nell wrote:

I cut three very sad-looking leaves off my phal yesterday after months
of watching it go from bad to worse. See picture of the leaves in a
post with the same subject line in alt.binaries.pictures.orchids.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is? I can't find any creepy
crawlies of any sort. The plant has just produced one brand-new, green
and shiny leaf but it didn't flower this year. Not surprising.

I've already lost one phal to a similar problem and I see the
tell-tale dark and light areas showing up on other phals.

Any help gratefully accepted.
Norma