Old 13-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes
On 12/9/04 12:45, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

Is it me or is there a mistake in this weeks garden news crossword.
I have completed all but 9 across which is left

g-i-e-s

clue
"Species name meaning grey.

I always believed glauca meant grey, well blue grey anyway. Is there a
name for specifically 'grey' ?
I have looked in all the RHS books I own but can't find the answer, also
on the web each answer seems to be glauca

Try 'griseus'.

Thanks Sacha and to everyone else that has sent me the answer.

Maybe I couldn't see for looking but the RHS books didn't list it and
neither did the web sites I visited.

I had thought of griseum but possibly that's a specific gender ending
for one species of plants? I was beginning to suspect I'd imagined it!
I did have a book with all the Latin meanings but couldn't remember
which one it was.

Thanks to everyone!

janet
--