Old 13-09-2004, 11:46 AM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Trust me, for starters try starting here. Learn where the targets are.
A WORLDWIDE PHOTO GUIDE
A NEW BOOK on the correct pruning of trees.
EASY to read. EASY to understand.
EASY to put into practice.
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/TPRUNING.html

Remember: When a tree is wounded, you should not treat only the wound but
the entire tree. (Tree Pithy Points, SHIGO, 1999 Point #587) So I
recommend this book:
MODERN ARBORICULTURE
A SYSTEMS APPROACH TO PRACTICAL TREE CARE
311 LARGE, CLEAR DIAGRAMS
16 LARGE FULL-COLOR PHOTOS
Hardcover, 440 pages, 600 references, index.
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/MARBOR.html
DO NOT USE WOUND
DRESSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: Remember, people will spend a lot of money on treatments they do not
understand. But, will not spend money on books that will help them
understand.
--
Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

"orangetrader" wrote in message
Have a 20' tall Crape Myrtle tree, not sure what kind, the leaves are as

big
as a man's hand, and a lot of leaves to sweep up in late winter early

spring
each year. Located in south Florida, zone 10.

Two of the branches were split from hurricane Frances and need to be

trimmed
back. A friend told me it needs to be pruned all the way back to the

trunk,
I thought this is only true for the shrub variety and not the tree

variety.
Any idea how much I should prune this one?

Thanks,