Old 13-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 01:04:04 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

Isn't there a fungus known as (very politically incorrectly) "Jews'
ears"? I
remember eating some when I was young after a mushroom hunt in Cwmbran,
Gwent . . .

Yes.. it grows on Elder true..the legend being that this is the tree
that Judas hung himself from.
Needs a bit of preparation to make it palatable though.

Nah, just let it dry, then powder it in a coffee-grinder. Add to soups,
stews, casseroles. Adds flavour and thickens it.

I do this with the less palatable (soft or slimy) boleti, and with old
specimens of other fungi.

It's a useful way of storing mushrooms - they reduce to a very small
volume, and keep indefinitely.

Cool tip! Ta.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk