Old 13-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Chookie

In article ,
Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

How interesting -- I found some of the Mollison books a bit unhelpful
because they assume Tasmanian conditions, which I would have thought
were similar to those found in the British Isles -- cool and wet!

Tasmania (only 8 degrees of latitude south of Sydney),lies at latitude
41 to 43 south of the Equator. The equivalent latitude north of the
equator corresponds to Spain, Italy, North California, which have warmer
summers than Britain, more sunshine/higher light levels even in winter,
and a longer growing season.

I assure you that Tasmania is not known for its climatic similarities to
Spain, Italy and North California (Perth and Adelaide are closer to a
Mediterranean climate). To give you an idea, September in Tassie AFAIK is
when you plant peas, cabbages and broad beans, and start chilli and tomatoes
only in heated propagation units. Here in Sydney I can now plant cucurbit,
bean, eggplant and capsicum seeds in the open (though I wouldn't this early in
the month) and it's far too late to plant peas and broad beans. Is anyone
doing that in the UK in March? And if so, wouldn't it be related to the Gulf
Stream rather than latitude?

Britain lies much further distant from the equator at 50 to 58 N. Even
in summer, the light intensity is lower than a Tasmanian winter. In
winter daylight levels are very low and hours of daylight short.The
light difference, as well as the temperature difference, affects the
growing season and has implications for anything planted in shade or
layers, such as "forest gardens".

I'm in Scotland, at 56 N. the same latitude as southern Alaska, and Moscow.

Interestingly, I didn't really notice light intensity differences when I went
from a Sydney summer to a Moscow winter for 6 weeks. A sunny Moscow day at
-27 C seemed -- in terms of light -- quite similar to a sunny winter day (15
C) in Sydney. I suppose the reflectiveness of the snow might have
contributed. I certainly did notice the very short days, and the impairment
to my sense of direction because the sun was in the wrong place!

What are you planting now?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet