Old 13-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Babberney

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:21:01 GMT, TQuinn wrote:

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:45:31 -0500, The Watcher transmitted this:

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 05:14:04 GMT, TQuinn wrote:

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 23:16:27 GMT, TQuinn transmitted this:

I take it the tree will die if I try to move it, and you don't have the heart to
tell me?

I've tranplanted mulberries bigger than that. It's quite some
work(especially here in the Ozarks), but it can be done. It would be
best to do it during the late winter/early spring, while it's dormant.
I transplanted one a couple of years ago, and it seems to be doing
fine. Of course, that might have something to do with the fact that I
planted it right beside my chicken coop, where the soil is very
fertile, and gets plenty of water. I've also transplanted other trees,
walnuts, oaks, black cherry, sycamores, dogwoods, redbuds, and a few
others on my property, but I've learned to try to get them when
they're smaller.

Good to hear, thanks. I was planning on starting to move it in
January/Feburary, is that good? (That's saying there won't be three feet of
snow on the ground, I'm in NY.) Also, would making a trench around the tree
help with the roots? I've done that with much smaller plants, and I'm not sure
if the same would apply to a tree.

Thanks again!

-T

divide the root zone into sectors and cut through the outside of every
other sector now. Then when you dig up the tree in the fall/winter it
will have a head start on a new, compact root ball.
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/