Old 13-09-2004, 09:21 PM
willshak

Roy wrote:

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:54:09 -0400, willshak
wrote:

===S. M. Henning wrote:
===
(Roy) wrote:
===
===
===
===There is absolutely no
===advantage a gear drive in a L & G tractor has over a hydro
===drive.........hands down its the better , no, BEST way to go.....
===
===
===
===In the manual for the John Deere OMM149664, Issue L3 Lawn Tractors
===LX280, LX280AWS, and LX289 PIN, automatic transmission tractors it
===specifically says:
===
==="Do not use cruise control when going down hills. Machine speed will
===increase."
===
===
===Then don't use cruise control when going down hills. I don't have cruise
===control on my hydrostatic tractor and it actually brakes when going down
===hill, as long as I take my foot off the pedal.
===
===That means you have to keep your foot on the "forward pedal" like a
===throttle when going down hills.
===
===
===And that would be a means to brake the mower? What about the brake
===pedal, or is that not mentioned? In a car, the brake pedal will
===disengage the cruise control, does that not happen with a tractor.
===I don't have cruise control, so you will have to enlighten me. I'll take
===your expertise opinion on this.
===
===With a gear-shift transmission you go up and down hill without touching
===any levers or pedals. Their speed doesn't increase going down hills.
===They are much safer.
===

He is just grabbing at straws randomly, and the post is getting so far
off its original matter, mainly due to the fact of S.M.H's ignorance
in the operation of a hydrostatic, and his wealth of misinformation!

I know. I'm just letting him dig a bigger hole. At some point, we will
never hear from him again, or he will say that it's not so bad down here
in the hole, or he will ask for help getting out of the hole. I'm having
fun, you?

===Did you ever own a hydrostatic tractor, or are you just going by some
===pre-conceived assumption?
===After all, as you said, you have a lawn as flat as a billiard table,
===never have to back up, and use only a single forward gear, so how would
===you know about hills, braking, and backing up?

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.