Old 13-09-2004, 09:28 PM
gregpresley

"Fleemo" wrote in message Thanks Paghat! Looking
around my garden, it would appear that I have
more of this stuff on my boston ivy. Where does this stuff come from
and how is it spread from place to place in my garden? Is there any
way to eradicate it once and for all?

-Fleemo

Powdery mildew is ubiquitous in drier climates where overhead watering is
common - but usually only in late spring and early fall, when the nights are
cooler (into the 40's). It has always fascinated me that in the East, with
its high relative humidity, and mold and mildew so common that the smell
of it is found in nearly every building, bread is slow to mold, whereas in
the dry climates of the west, bread without chemicals can get moldy within 3
days after opening the package. My theory is that the mold and mildew spores
are "looking" for a moist environment to latch onto, since the air is too
dry to support them, which, in the west means they will latch onto watered
foliage and bread.......