Old 07-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Aaron Hicks

Your setup depends upon what you want to grow. Paphs and phals
will do fine under regular tubes, either T12 or T8. I've been trying for
several weeks now to get more of the dual-tube types that accept either
T12 or T8, but there seems to be a complete absence of them in the stores
these days.

For higher output, you'll need something like VHO (very high
output) tubes, with correspondingly higher heat and light output, and
higher power bills. They're also more expensive to buy, but are better for
growing stuff like cattleyas. I think there's another power group in there
somewhere I'm missing. There are simply too many types to keep good track
of these days.

Then there's the dope-growing stuff, like MH (metal halide) and
HID (high intensity discharge), in case you want to have your name
appended to some gov'munt watch list. If you go this route, call the
electric company and see if they'll let you attach anything to the little
whirly-disk in the electric meter, as it'll double as a fan while it goes
'round and 'round.

The e-mail in the header is bogus. Send no mail there.

Cheers,

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ