Old 13-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Phil L

Harry Ziman wrote:
:: We have an enormous pile of well rotted grass cuttings from this
:: year and the tear before.
::
:: I am digging out an old area to make a new flower bed. The soil
:: will probably be a bit tired. Is there any merit in adding a layer
:: of the well rotted grass cuttings before I replace the soil. I
:: know manure would be better but I don't have any at the moment - I
:: will probably put some on top later in the year, but this is too
:: late to backfill the garden.
::
:: Thanks
::
:: Harry

As a beginner to gardening I can say that grass cuttings are very good for
flowers!!
In spring I filled hanging baskets and planters with a mixture of rotted
grass cuttings and soil (not very good soil - it was lifeless) along with a
small amount of compost and they did exceptionally well - the flowers in the
pots and planters which didn't get any grass were only half the size of
those that did.
One word of warning though, watch out for hundreds of tiny grass seedlings
coming up all over the place!
I picked them out every few days and they remained relatively weed free.