Old 13-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Klara

In message , Hugh
Harris-Evans writes
On one occasion I had to cut it back very severely since it was
starting to block the driveway. However hard I pruned the shrub, it
always produced a profusion of vigorous new shoots.

From my experience I don't think that you will have any trouble in
re-establishing your wisteria. If you have to cut the main stem to make
way for the new windows, I would just train the new stems to the
position you need. Provided the stems have buds along their length you
will get side shoots from each bud.

Thanks, Hugh,

Vigorous is an understatement: if a window is open just for a day or two
it's in and heading for the beds, and it's also trying hard to lift the
roof - so that's promising. I think I'll bend a couple horizontally
right and left and prune the rest at the level of the bottoms of the
upstairs windows to spread the odds. But your experience seems to
indicate that one can do just about anything except keep it under
control!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin