Old 13-09-2004, 11:45 PM
zxcvbob

Rob wrote:
the landlord wanted to send her son to fix it. her son wanted to block up
the opening, disregarding the fact that the bees were coming out another
opening somewhere into the downstairs apartment. thankfully the son
apparently forgot to "fix" things. we told the landlord we'd call an
exterminator, but no way she'll pay $175-$250, so screw it, i'll do it
myself. i have the sevin now and the duster. just waiting for dark. cost
about $40 for the two.

$40? It should have only cost a few dollars for the sevin, and 99¢ for
a turkey baster. (I usually don't bother with the turkey baster and
just throw a pinch of insecticide powder down the YJ hole with my fingers.)

I killed a huge nest of them that way a couple of years ago. They were
under the neighbor's sidewalk (I don't know how they just appeared there
suddenly) and they were stinging passers-by. The neighbor tried burning
them out with gasoline and was lucky he didn't set himself on fire. It
just ****ed off the YJ's, and *maybe* killed a couple of them. I waited
until almost dark and threw about a teaspoon of methoxychlor dust (a
general purpose farm insecicide sometimes used on cattle) in the crack
where they were going in and out. The next day, there were no more wasps.

I'm sure the $30-something duster you bought will do a good job too...

Bob