Old 14-09-2004, 12:41 AM
RichToyBox

Nitrates can only be removed from the pond by plants or water changes. If
the level is high enough to worry about, do water changes of 10 to 20% per
day until the level is back down where you would like to see it. The source
of nitrates may be from your fertilizer tablets, but generally, in
overstocked ponds anyway, it is the end product of the filtration, and the
more fish, the more nitrates.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

"Roy " wrote in message
Well its not all that nigh but is n th low end of the stress scale,
next to high borderline. Ammonia and nitrites are 0 ph and alk is
fine.......but I find high nitrate. I did a partial water change the
other day and its still goes right back to the current level. I have
numerous plants, and good filtration. (1/2 barrel setup) All th
plants are doing fine, real nice and green except for the one water l
illy, it seems anemic as it has some nice dark leaves while others are
a pale yellow green color. It was fertilized prior to be put in place
inthe 1/2 barrel, and was fertilized regularlay before that, but it
only ever gets maybe 5 to 7 leaves at most.......The miniature cat
tails are so so, awfull fragile and bend and crimp very easy and not
really all that dark. I use Plant Tabs which is an aquatic plant
fertilizer. Any clues whats wrong on the high level of nitrate and the
water lilly?

--
Visit my website:

http://www.frugalmachinist.com
Regards
Roy aka chipmaker

Contents have been checked for spelling. I just decided not to make any

needed corrections!