Old 14-09-2004, 04:23 AM
orangetrader

I think what I have is a Crape Myrtle Nanchez. The nusery where I bought
them from had a few that are 50' tall and they are definitely of the tree
variety. The one I have is about 20' tall and the main trunk is about 12
inches in diameter.

I don't think I want to cut them back to the ground. I did a search and
some recommend cutting them back and some said this is "crape murder".
Opinions seem to vary. I am very confused now.

"Wishy13764" wrote in message
I don't believe crape myrtle is considered a tree. It is a perennial

shrub, and
of course some can be grown as a tree. My shrub can go as high as 20 feet,

but
I cut it back almost to the ground every 3 years of so, and keeps coming

back
strong. Right now, i took some cuttings this past spring and they are

blooming
for me in 14 to 15 inch baskets, and they are only 2 feet high, because

I'm
containing them. I live in NYC and these won't last long outside during

the
winter, so i guess i have to bring them indoors and hope to carry them

over
till next spring.