Old 14-09-2004, 04:20 AM
bk

I live in Miami Florida. There are several ponds around here that have both
Cichlids and Koi and Goldfish in Commercail locations. Fancy Koi, Angels
Hatcheries, Goldfish and Koi USA and Miller's Tropicals (Orchid Growers) are
just a few. All of these locations use continuous flow of crystal clear
ground water thru their ponds and holding tanks. Miller's hase all sorts of
fish and is big enough to swim in.

wrote in message
get to rec. ponds with this. (please cross post to GF). Ingrid

so238 wrote:

Hello goldfish keepers,

There seems to be the notion around that goldfish mustn't be kept with
tropical fish due to differences in temperature requirements. I am quite
certain it's not really true, as I've lived in sub-tropical Taiwan.
Temperatures are around 30 cel. most the year (dips briefly to +10 for a
month in winter), but goldfish are commonly kept and survive and thrive
(when properly cared for, of course). And goldfish are bred commercially
in southern China with a similar climate.

I think the reason goldfish aren't so good with tropicals is because
they're big and messy. Maybe goldfish survive less than ideal water
quality better than tropicals?

Speaking of goldfish and climate, I've settled in Europe now and
preparing to keep some goldfish in a big tub on my balcony. I know
nothing about overwintering. If it gets near freezing (but usually just
above) in winter, how should I go about reduced feeding, etc.? Can you
actually keep them in a big tub (50 gallons?) in this kind of weather?
Thanks,

Seb

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/