Old 13-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Harry Ziman
writes
We have an enormous pile of well rotted grass cuttings from this year and
the tear before.

It is pretty good stuff. Worth giving a mix up to encourage it along.

I am digging out an old area to make a new flower bed. The soil will
probably be a bit tired. Is there any merit in adding a layer of the well
rotted grass cuttings before I replace the soil. I know manure would be
better but I don't have any at the moment - I will probably put some on top
later in the year, but this is too late to backfill the garden.

Certainly worth putting some in whilst you are digging and for that
matter using it as a mulch around plants that you are fond of. The worms
will mix it in eventually. Just make sure the stuff is fairly well
rotted down first.

Bury the rough stuff and keep the nicest material for the top 6 inches.

Experience varies enormously with grass cuttings. I can compost mine
very fast except for the top layer that dries out. YMMV

Regards,
--
Martin Brown