Old 14-09-2004, 04:57 PM
paghat

In article CnD1d.175627$9d6.5286@attbi_s54, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
Can anyone suggest a plant with/for the following...

Rock garden
Low growing
Spreading
Red flowers
Flowers in summer
Hardy
Based in UK Northen England

Quite demanding I know but I just thought I'd ask.

Cheers
Steve

Sunrose or Helianthemum nummularium will fit all your requrements. Very
hardy; low spreading evergreen foliage, ideally suited for a rock garden or
wall where it can spread or cascade. Small, tissue-paper thin flowers appear
over a long period in late spring and early summer. Lots of cultivars and
flower colors to choose from - 'Henfield Brilliant' has large, coppery-red
flowers, 'Ben Ledi' has smaller, true flowers, 'Fireball' has smaller double
red flowers and 'Cherries Jubilee' has double cherry-red flowers.

Shear off old flower stalks after the bloom period and you will get another
flush of flowers in late summer or early autumn.

pam - gardengal

I'd second Pam's choice as I'm a huge fan of these groundcover sunroses
that produce such splendid blooms & almost never need watering, but do
need a good sunny spot. "Fireball" has been a perpetual bloomer in my
garden, & the blooms are super-red (very small pompoms; the non-doubles
actually have the more dramatic flowers but not as persistent as are the
sterile pompoms).

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"