Old 14-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Gail Futoran

"Karen Fletcher" wrote in
message ...
I'm helping a friend who is in turn helping a relative

select a 'romantic'
but tough and well-behaved rose for planting at a

gravesite in central
Ohio. Repeat bloomer would be nice.

This really will need to be a plant it and forget it rose

since the only
groundskeeping done there is mowing.

Thanks for any advice!

-- Karen

As a first step, I would check local nurseries that
handle roses for roses that do best in your area.
One of the larger miniatures might be a good
bet, since they tend (all else being equal) to
be more tolerant of neglect.

Depending on what you mean by "romantic",
a red rambler called Red Cascade is very
tough and can be pruned using a weed whacker
with no ill effect. It can be used as a ground
cover or a pillar rose. The rose (like most minis)
has no scent but is a very deep red and blooms
profusely throughout the growing season once
established. I've never seen it bothered by
bugs or blackspot. I don't know how well it
would do in Ohio, though.

Good luck in your search -

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8