Old 15-09-2004, 01:35 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from (Steve) contains these words:

Hello,
Can anyone suggest a plant with/for the following...

Rock garden
Low growing
Spreading
Red flowers
Flowers in summer
Hardy
Based in UK Northen England

Quite demanding I know but I just thought I'd ask.

You'd do better to ask in uk.rec.gardening, because most of the
gardeners here don't garden in the UK.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but why can't he ask here? Are the plants
in the UK unique to that country? Hardy is hardy and there are many areas of
the UK that will experience weather extremes and/or climate conditions
similar (not identical, but similar) to parts of the US or even other parts
of the world that are reflected by posters here. There are scores of rock
garden and alpine plant societies that are international in their membership
and that share plants and planting tips freely.

FWIW, of the suggestions provided so far, the sedum and thyme are hardy
to -39C and the helianthemum to -23C. Certainly one of those should qualify.

pam - gardengal