Old 15-09-2004, 04:07 AM
J.D. Stone

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

I am thinking of covering the pomd this year to keep the debris/fallout
down. I have pine trees behind the pond, so I do not have ready access

the back of the pond. I am thinking of an off zxis cover with a long

side,
and short side to aid in implemetation. I have a doodle of the idea

here,
http://www.iheartmypond.com/links/ideas/pondcover.jpg.

I figured I'd pound some rebar into the ground, slide the PVC over the

bar
and then cover in plastic or landscaping cloth.

Any thoughts?

I just had a thought. There might be an easier way. I have a bottom drain
made from 4'' PVC. I have yet to install diffuser, so I have a 4'' elbow
sticking up into the pond. When I want to drain the VF, I stand a piece of
4'' PVC in the elbow, blocking it off. This pipe sticks up out of the

pond.
Why not do this, drape plastic over the pipe, and anchor the edges around
the pond? Picture here,
http://www.iheartmypond.com/links/ideas/pondcover2.jpg.

BV

Unless you plan a curved surface to ensure water runoff you will end up with
a trap (sort of like what happens to my boat cover often). Once it starts
collecting water it just gets worse. I am planning on making a hoop house,
similar to what you are planning but side members top help with runoff.
Here's some ideas,
http://gentlewindfarm.com/hoop.html
http://www.members.shaw.ca/renaissan.../hoophouse.htm
http://www.westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html