Old 15-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Cerumen" writes:

| By 'ancient' I would understand neolithic times. How picky can you get?
|
| I'm not picky, those who did the survey were. Apparently if it wasn't here
| before we were isolated by water it's not native.

An interesting definition. There have certainly been several birds
that have established here without direct human involvement, and I
think that there have been some plants.

But, if I recall, there is also one which established itself in the
UK by natural hybridisation between an introduced species and a
native one. Now, that is clearly a good species, and the usual
interpretation is that it would be native to somewhere. But, if
not the UK, where? Cockaigne?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.