Old 13-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Janet Tweedy writes:
| In article , Kay
| writes

snip
Most biological terminology uses Latin nomemclature, but the official
language of botany is Latin. A plant isn't officially named until
it has been described in grammatically correct Latin.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

can't argue with the first part but I am not sure the second is still
correct, It is now seems to be accepted that a good description in your
native language using correct terminology ( stamens brown, leaves ovate,
etc.) in a freely available and widely circulated publication will suffice
(I have now done this 4 times) which is just as well as I could not have
managed the Latin. It may well be that a new species would have to be
described only in Latin, but I think cultivars have had the rules relaxed it
recent years.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk