Old 15-09-2004, 06:04 PM
paghat

In article , "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"Lee" wrote in message
m...
"Vox Humana" wrote in message news:Tqi0d.974$

It was quite common in the small town where I grew up. All of a sudden,
bathtub shrines started to appear in gardens in the mid 1960s. The fancy
ones had lamp sockets wired into the drain hole to allow for nighttime
illumination.

I visited some friends in Carlsbad NM several years back and the sons
of one of the (Catholic)families in all reverence, made a bathtub
grotto with statue of Mother Mary. it was quite artistically done and
the way it was done was so precisly and artistically done that at
first glance, it simply looked like a wall grotto in a Cathlic church.
They, too, had recessed lights in it so that it lit the interior and
the statue.
Leo

I have to give these people credit for adaptive reuse of discarded goods.

About two years ago, a couple local garden centers had in their statuary
sections recycled bathroom sinks of various kinds to use as planters or
birdbaths. I found this use of vintage sinks appealing, but when I made
noises about finding an old sink for the purpose more cheaply from
someplace like Cap'n Sam's recycled construction, Granny Artemis said it
was just too close to using a toilet as a planter, & she wouldn't have it.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"