Old 15-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Ray

I cannot speak with expertise about the specific problem, but don't think
for a moment that the same affliction will display the same symptoms with
all plants.

Think about it - the phals have thick, fleshy leaves while dens and oncids
have thin leaves. A surface problem might easily cause the depressions you
see in the phals, but those depressions go all the way through a thin leaf.

Based upon the pictures, I'd speculate (a high-falutin' way of saying
"guess") that your growing conditions have fostered the maintenance of a
particularly nasty fungus of some sort, and any treatments you may have
applied have been insufficient at eradicating it, and if applied improperly,
may have helped develop a stronger strain. If I was facing that, I'd take
in some strong measures:

1) Move all plants out of the growing area and sterilize the crap out of
it with bleach.
2) Treat all of your plants with a good systemic fungicide, repeating the
application religiously according to label instructions.
3) Destroy the really badly infected plants.

Then, observe and study really thoroughly your cultural practices. I'd bet
that whatever-it-is came in with one plant, but too much moisture with a
lack of air movement - or something cultural like that - has really
aggravated the situation, and if that isn't remedied, you might end up right
back where you are now.

..
"Steve" wrote in message

Nell wrote:
.....I'm just hoping it doesn't infect my paphs, oncs
and whatever others I have.

[sigh]
Norma

Norma, I have had Paphs growing in with the diseased Phals since before
the Phal problem started. The Paphs are healthy and doing fine.
On the other hand, my Dendrobiums developed a spot disease about the same
time the Phals started and it doesn't seem to go away with fungicides. It
behaves quite a bit like the Phal disease. Many of my Oncidium alliance
plants have gone down hill as well but I can't say their problem resembles
the Phal disease. The Dendrobiums and Oncidiums are normally not in the
same area as the Phals but when they are in bloom I often place them there
for a while.

Steve

PS Here's a picture, taken last year, of the Dendrobium disease:
http://stevewilson.homestead.com/fil...e5_31_03_2.jpg
That plant I've had for around 20 years. It was never a great bloomer but
until recent years, it had nearly perfect, unblemished leaves. Now it
seems that every leaf starts in with the spots as the leaf matures.