Old 15-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Cereus-validus

As usual Janet, the extent of your botanical knowledge is far less than
adequate.

Griseus is the word.

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

Is it me or is there a mistake in this weeks garden news crossword.
I have completed all but 9 across which is left

g-i-e-s

clue
"Species name meaning grey.

I always believed glauca meant grey, well blue grey anyway. Is there a
name for specifically 'grey' ?
I have looked in all the RHS books I own but can't find the answer, also
on the web each answer seems to be glauca

Glauca= glaucous, a bluish or greenish bloom or film.
Cinerea = ash grey (ash as in fireplace)
Argentea =silvery
incana =grey-downy

none of which fit, though cinerea has the right number of letters

:-0

Janet.