Old 11-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Ray

As Reka and Xi answered the "what to do with the keiki" part, I'll skip
that.

While the background species can affect the formation of keikis, as Reka
mentioned, culture can sometimes play a role, as the formation of keikis can
be a "survival" mechanism for the plant if it is somehow stressed.

The photo of the plant shows it to have quite lush foliage that is a bright
green in color. If that is not simply a remnant of the photo and its
appearance on my monitor, it may suggest that you have been overdoing the
nitrogen and the plant may be malnourished - stressing the plant into the
formation of keikis and pretty much guaranteeing that the thing won't bloom.

If you can provide details, we can see if my guess has any validity!

..
"Sean" wrote in message
link.net...
Hi all,

About 5 months ago I purchased an out of bloom phal at a local nursery on
the cheap. It was in good shape with two spikes. I cut the two spikes
just
above the first node to attempt a rebloom and instead both spikes have
produced keikis (sp?). How should I go about caring for these and what
should I be looking for in the near future to have two offspring from this
parent? I have a picture in a.b.p.orchids titled 'phal keiki' for those
that care to take a look.

Also, if you have an opportunity to look at the plant, one of the leaves
from the newest growth has curved over to the point you can only see the
underside of the leaf. Is this ok or should I try to keep the leaf
topside
up with a small stake?

thanks tremendously for any help or advice,

Sean