Old 16-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Ethan

These lamps are 1150 lumens, 20W, 6000 hours. Anyone have a regular
tube (in package) on hand? I asked the mgf for lumens/life graph, but
no reply yet. Th mfg is Lights of America.

so238 wrote in message ...
[snip]
Do you have a reference/website which talks more about the reduced
efficiency of edison(screw)-base compacts for incandescent sockets? I'd
be curious to know why it is less efficient, and how big a hit it is.
The phosphor can be the same, and I doubt that bending the tube is an
issue - my only thought is that the internal ballast is less efficient
than an external ballast, but I was under the impression that they used
electronic ballasts, which even on a bad day should be more efficient
than a straight tube with a magnetic ballast.

I didn't read it from a reference/website--I just compared the
manufacturer's rated lifespan printed on the bulb's packaging, and the
price tag. Judging from what the stuff on the packaging says, those
fluorescent lamps for incandescent sockets have as little as half the
lifespan of regular fluorescents, use more wattage for the same output
and cost more. At least that's last time I checked at the shop. If I
check again I'll tell you all.

Seb