Old 13-09-2004, 04:32 AM
wendy7

Joanna,
I think it's the sense of smell?
People who smell raspberries are wishing for some.
People who smell pine needles think it's Christmas.
People who smell almonds are just plain nuts! *G*

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

J Fortuna wrote:
Last Thursday I fell in love with the description and picture of a
paph malipoense online, and so I ordered one and should be receiving
it sometime next week.

One thing that baffles me though are the different descriptions of
this species paph's fragrance. I have seen it described in different
vendor's catalogues as smelling of pine needles, having a raspberry
scent, or an almond fragrance. Now I know that different people have
a different sense of smell, and that different orchids may smell
differently (or not smell at all) under different conditions, and all
that, ... but still, I would think that there is a great difference
between the scent of raspberries, pine needles, and almonds, right?

What is the most likely explanation for the variation in descriptions
of this fragrance? Is it the difference in perception by different
people or difference in varieties within the species or both or
neither?

Luckily, the scent would just be a nice bonus for me, and not the main
reason why I want this plant. However, these different descriptions
just baffle me, so I wonder about the reason.

Joanna