Old 14-09-2004, 06:24 PM
DigitalVinyl

Ignoramus2437 wrote:

I am on a low carb high fat "paleo diet". In the front yard, we have a
concrete retaining wall that is a boundary of our land. Beyond the
retaining wall, 3 feet lower, is a public sidewalk. I rented a monster
tiller recently, and tilled a 24" strip of land immediately adjacent
to the retaining wall. (did a lot of other tilling to plant a lawn
elsewhere).

My desire is to plant some pretty, high fat, low carb, edible plants
that are not grains.

I live in Zone 5 (N Illinois).

One plant that I can think of is sunflowers. Maybe I will throw some
corn into it, for looks and for other members of my family, but I am
looking for other suggestions.

Thanks!

Green beans, peppers, lettuces, zucchini (big plants), spaghetti
squash (train it and trim it back it can send out 12 foot vines
without stopping) or other squash, eggplant(not sure if you get enough
heat in zone 5). Broccoli and to a lesser extent cauliflower(only
develops one head then stops). I did kerby cucumbers and made my own
pickle varieties. COrn takes a lot of space and my second batch of the
season was eaten by bugs and a near total failure.

I can't imagine not growing tomatoes! I went on maintenance for the
summer/fall harvest so I could enjoy anything I wanted from the
garden. After all it may be carbs but a lot healthier than say...
sugar cookies. Has worked well since I don't hesitate to eat
grape-sized tomatoes from the vine in the garden or slice-&-salt
tomatoes in the kitchen as an afternoon snack. I tried canteloupe and
watermelon this year but I messed them up with spacing and I got two
3" canteloupes. :-( Next year I will do better.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/