Old 16-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Gale Pearce" wrote in message
Hi Kathy - a lot of people add dechlor to any new water they add to their
pond - if you have chlorine in your water supply and not chloramine a lot

of
us get away without using dechlor as long as the amount you add is not too
much (an inch or so) - I also put together a filter which will take out

95%
of the chlorine in my water if I have to add a large amount (5"+) For the
smaller amounts. I "spray" the water into the pond to help aerate and
dissipate as much chlorine as possible

Activated charcoal filters become useless over time and will stop removing
chlorine and chloramine. Spraying water over a pond will not knock
chloramine out of the water. There are inexpensive dechlor products on the
market, so IMHO, just buy some and when you add water, add dechlor. That is
the BEST way to ensure the safety of your fish.

We have an article on this topic at
http://www.ilovemypond.com/topic.asp?aid=99170.

BV.

P.S. Some of you may notice the url is ilovemypond and not iheartmypond. We
are currently transfering the iheartmypond site to a new server/ISP so we
have set up ilovemypond.com to assist in the transfer and minimize down
time. When the transition is complete, both URL's will work.