Old 16-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Mike Lyle

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
Fran wrote "I have water repellent soil due to drought conditions and am
tempted to use a surfactant to help get water down deep into the soil. "

Why not just use washing up liquid, It is a negative ion wetting agent.

Washing-up liquid is the usual wetting agent over here for dehydrated
pot plants; and I always chuck those too-small bits of soap in a
watering can and leave them there. But I don't really think a wetting
agent is necessary for ordinary garden soil. And in any case, during a
drought it's best to save all the domestic "grey" water from baths etc
(not the dishwasher, though) for the garden. This will contain small
quantities of soap and other surface-acting substances, and won't do
the garden any harm at all.

Whatever your source of water, if there's a surface crust which lets
water run off the places where you want it to stay, it's best to break
it up with a fork before watering. This will do more good than an
additive. Sometimes you also have to give a plant its ration a little
bit at a time, wetting the soil gradually to avoid run-off. After
watering, if you've got any compost, a mulch is a good idea, too: for
precious plants in bad conditions, it's worth buying in some mulching
material. In an emergency, I wouldn't mind using flattened-out
cardboard boxes or even plastic sheet.

Good luck!

Mike.