Old 16-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Katra

In article ,
(Bossman) wrote:

Hello,

I grew up in the shadow of the guadelupe mountains of southeastern New
Mexico. Everyone in that area uses the names Texas Madrone and
Manzanita interchangably. I realized today that they are two very
distinct species. I know the Texas Madrone is found in the Guadelupes,
but I'm not sure about the Manzanita. Can anyone explain the
differences and similarities between these two trees? Are they both
found in the area?

Thanks,

Texas Madrone:

http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~harms/madrone.html

http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/sh...hapeID=6&curGr
oupID=19&curPageNum=27&recnum=TS0722

Manzanita:

http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/722.htm

http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/64.htm

It appears that there is no relationship at all!
The only thing they seem to have in common is the red bark....

Google is your friend. ;-)

Hope this helps?

K.
--
Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an
erection make him a sandwich. -- Anon.