Old 16-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Joanne wrote:
I understand that sweetcorn should be harvested when the juices are milky,
and when the stringy bits on top are brown and dry. However, my corns' bits
are stringy and dry but the cobs are still very small.

So, do I wait until the cobs are larger, or do I harvest now?

Now. They won't get bigger. The are probably small because of
the poor summer. Being brought up on maize, I like sweetcorn
rather riper than is the taste in this country. It won't get
too ripe to eat as sweetcorn gere, because we don't get enough
sun to ripen it properly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.