Old 17-09-2004, 02:40 AM
Roy

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:52:28 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

===Leave them alone. The extra water will probably do them good. When
===you get a chance, mulch the area around each tree, but keep the mulch
===an inch or two away from the trunk. Compost makes excellent mulch,
===and provides nutrients.
===
===
===On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 01:54:08 -0000, (Bill Oliver)
===wrote:
===
===
===I recently (3 days ago) planted about 20 small (1-2gal) trees I
===ordered by mail. Most have managed OK, but a few are dying
===back a little. I think I could baby all but one or two back
===before winter sets in.
===
===However, hurricane Ivan is supposed to move over us in a
===day or so. It will be nothing like what's happening on the
===coast, but we are predicted to get 12 inches of rain and
===80 mph gusts.
===
===Any bright ideas out there on protecting my little saplings?
===
===billo

A little extra water sure won;t hurt, but 19 1/2" inches of rainfall
and and loose leaning 100+ foot trees are another story. I'd gladly
trade you your problem for mine ;-)
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.