Old 17-09-2004, 09:36 AM
gregpresley

I believe it's recommended in the desert, as it is in the deep south, to
chill (refrigerate) tulips for at least 6 weeks, or they won't bloom - they
need good chilling to succeed (consistently colder than 40 degrees) - the
highs of 65 or 70 in January in Phoenix, Tucson, or Palm Springs, while
chilly to someone who has lived in the desert for a while, is balmy weather
to a tulip.....lol
"D. Sutton" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I just bought a couple of large bags of tulip bulbs at my local
costco. They were very reasonably priced, and they look to be very
high quality. They're packed in sawdust filled bags, and look very
nice.

I live in the arizona desert, and it's still plenty hot here. I have
been keeping the bags of bulbs in the house since i bought them, and
it's warm in here during the day - 84 degrees or so when i'm not home
and the A/C is set high.

I'm wondering, first, if it's too hot in the house to store them
properly - should they be in the fridge for a while? Is the heat going
to hurt them?

Secondly, when should I plant them? They are Triumph Tulips, in case
that matters...

Thanks for the help!