Old 17-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Martin writes:
| On 17 Sep 2004 09:39:12 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
|
| | Being brought up on maize, I like sweetcorn
| | rather riper than is the taste in this country. It won't get
^^^^^^^^^^^^
| | too ripe to eat as sweetcorn gere, because we don't get enough
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^
| | sun to ripen it properly.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| |
| | Don't they say it takes 100 days of sun to ripen corn?
^
notice: no "sweet"
| |
| | That's about right, but I didn't know that they said it!
| |
| | 'They' being, if I remember right, US seed packets, yonks ago.
| |
http://www.agri-saaten.de/english/mais5.htm

| Reread the above again. Sweetcorn is corn eaten unripe.
|
| Yes! and who mentioned maize?

On second thoughts, try reading the above for the first time. I have
marked the sections you particularly need to note. When you jump
into the middle of the thread, it is a good idea to check that you
know what is being talked about. Klara and I were talking at a
slightly less naive level than you assumed.

| I assumed that the original poster was not trying to grow ripened
| maize, but sweet corn to eat.

If you had read the original posting, you would have realised that
I was saying that it never gets BEYOND that stage in the UK. If
you had understood what Klara was posting, you would have realised
that she was talking about something slightly different from what
you assumed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.