Old 17-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Nina Shishkoff

(Daren Byrd) wrote in message . COM...
Maybe someone out there can help me with a curious problem I am having
with my Yaupon Holly. About a week ago all the leaves started turning
dark greenish brown.

You don't say where you are. In England, they are having an outbreak
of Phytophthora ilicis, which, as its name suggests, attacks holly.
It kills roots, and this leads to defoliation. The fungus has also
been reported in the Western US, but only on English holly.

In the US as a whole, Thielaviopsis root rot is a common problem on
holly. As with all root rots, the key symptom is the one-sidedness of
symptoms. And as with all root rots, there's not much you can do. On
Long Island, we recommend you "remove and replace" (I wink at Jay).
If this is a bonsai and was planted in a soil-less mix, it is unlikely
to have gotten thielaviopsis, although fungus gnats *are* thought to
transport it.

You should check the roots (if it is a bonsai). Bonsai or yard tree,
this is an easy disease for Cooperative Extension agents to diagnose-
the fungus is really pretty, and everyone sees it in mycology 101.
Just make sure you take a root sample, not a leaf sample.

Nina.