Old 17-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Martin writes:

| | Maize does ripen in northern Europe if the right hybrid is used. The
| | fields of the Netherlands and Germany are full of the stuff.
|
| And it is used unripe, though not AS unripe as the sweetcorn we
| eat.
|
| I see zero mention of it being used unripe on the google sites
| relating to the growth of maize in Europe.

Well, I do, though I can see why you don't. Obvious indicators
are the words 'silage' or 'forage' - those and other such terms
state clearly that maize is being used unripe - or they do if
you know how it is used.

I will leave finding suitable indicator words for ripe maize as
an exercise for your homework.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.