Old 17-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Sue da Nimm

"Tracey" wrote in message

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.209...
I'm about to adopt a greyhound. She will be my first dog since uni, and
(in a flurry of fencing and putting up gates) I've started to think

about
the 'disposal problem'.

snip
I was looking through a catalogue last night that came free a gardening
magazine, 'Rosemary and Thyme' Catalogue. In it there are several handy
bits and bobs for pet owners, one such, a 'Clean Green Dog Loo'. You

plant
the doggy loo in your garden, pop the poop in and add a little

bio-activator
which breaks it down into liquid for it to drain away into the ground.

See
the product here http://tinyurl.com/5jegu

Tracey

Tried the dog loo - works for small doggies, but we have a Newfoundland (who
could fill it in a day) two retrievers and a Jack Russel.
After lots of attempts at different solutions we found the simplest was to
dig a pit and drop doggie doos in. These are then sprinkled with grass
cuttings - or anything else - to cover and keep the flies away. When the pit
is threequarteres full we start a new one and top-off the last one with some
of the soil removed. We tend to grow shrubs in between pits, which keep them
nicely obscured from view.
After several years of this we are nowhere near returning to the start
point, which has very healthy vegetation on top...
Incidently, we found a marvelous hod and rake at the local Horsey Haven.
It's meant for cleaning up behind horses, but is ideal for collecting doggie
doings without having to bend down.