Old 17-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Tracey" contains these words:

Is there anybody out there who actually likes the taste of huckleberries,
lol?!

Do you mean huckleberries, or the misleadingly named 'Garden Huckleberries'?

I've grown my first huckleberries this year and picked my first batch of
ripe berries last weekend. I think they taste pretty vile, so does my
fiance and there's not much he doesn't like, particularly when it comes to
berries. Anyhow I managed to use them as I mixed them with blackberries and
bilberries I had picked during country walks and made a berry crumble.
Tasted very good too!

Ah. You must mean the garden huckleberry, which is just a grown-up black
nightshade. I don't find them vile - just rather lacking in flavour. I
prefer black nightshade, which is pleasantly sweet, though also rather
lacking in flavour.

Proper huckleberries are a species of whortleberry/bilberry/blaeberry.

Now the question is, can anybody recommend other ways of using
huckleberries, apart from mixing with other berries and sticking them in a
pie?

I only grew them once...

--
Rusty